PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File size changes when edited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bogadpica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: File size changes when edited Reply with quote

I appears that my GIF files sizes are changing when I edit a photo, i.e. do a red eye fix. For instance I had a file for from 1035KB down to 775KB. How do I prevent this from happening?

thanks,
Markus
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: File size changes when edited Reply with quote

bogadpica wrote:
I appears that my GIF files sizes are changing when I edit a photo, i.e. do a red eye fix. For instance I had a file for from 1035KB down to 775KB. How do I prevent this from happening?

thanks,
Markus

Could you please send that file to support at picajet dot com.
charles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: File size changes when edited Reply with quote

bogadpica wrote:
I appears that my GIF files sizes are changing when I edit a photo, i.e. do a red eye fix. For instance I had a file for from 1035KB down to 775KB.

Out of curiosity, why do you have megabyte sized GIFs of people (presumed content given red-eye fix)? Unless you're intentionally down-sampling the color depth, the GIF format is pretty poorly suited to capturing 'real life' images. Even though JPEG is lossy, it's almost always more faithful to the original scene than GIF, with much smaller file sizes.

For any compressed file format, if you alter the image composition the file size would likely change, due to greater or lesser efficiency in compression. Some programs will do lossless optimization of formats with a specific color table (like GIF and PNG) - though I can't say if PJ does that.
bogadpica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. It is actually JPGs I am using. Just a brain cramp on my part.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogadpica wrote:
My bad. It is actually JPGs I am using. Just a brain cramp on my part.

I wished to duplicate my private answer here but I see that Charles already responsed to you Smile Thanks Charles.

Of course the files were in JPEG format and after each editing and saving JPEG format recompressed and depending from the JPEG quality size might be differ than original. By default PicaJet uses 90% quality value for saving jpeg files. It's optimal combination of JPEG quality and JPEG file size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: