PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

User interface improvements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: User interface improvements Reply with quote

PicaJet is super cool! I've tried A LOT of different photo managers, and still haven't found THE tool I need - however - PicaJet is the closest so far.

I'm down to having two issues with the program - one of them are already being discussed elsewhere (the one about automatic IPTC update when program is closed). The other on I haven't been able to find any discussions about - so let's get started Smile

Am I the only one who finds the PicaJet workspace very crowded?! With the "categories" and "locate by" on at the same time - I'm loosing about 50% of my screen space. Sorry guys but this is a waste of space. I know that you can use the TAB and turn the menus on and off as you like - but then of course they are not at hand...

Why can't the "locate by" be docked under "categories" (just like "properties" can) - with that fixed - you gain 25% more screen space - for either more or bigger thumbnails! (nice!!!)

For your inspiration I've attached a few screenshots from some of the other photo managers I'm testing - just to compare. They are:
1: PicaJet

2: Microsoft Digital Image Library 10

3: iView Media Pro 3

In my opinion Microsoft (Yes! Microsoft...) have by far the best use of screen space, since the have all needed tools nicely packed away in ONE button (the one that is dropped down in the screenshot)! Note also that the thumbnails themself don't have lot's of info about size, keywords etc. - but this is done in the bottom of the screen, very nice and clean interface.

Looking forward to hear a bit about what the plans are for version 3. If it will be possible to customize your screen much more, with menus and stuff - and save these settings! Will font size be editable? Will menus be floating etc etc....

Regards
/Kasper
allanbj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: User interface improvements Reply with quote

kasper_dk wrote:
PicaJet is super cool! I've tried A LOT of different photo managers, and still haven't found THE tool I need - however - PicaJet is the closest so far.

You got that right!

kasper_dk wrote:
Why can't the "locate by" be docked under "categories" (just like "properties" can) - with that fixed - you gain 25% more screen space - for either more or bigger thumbnails! (nice!!!)

Yep, "just" making it dockable in the Categories column would fix this issue. It's gonna be crowded there but some people like that...! Smile

Man, if I just knew how to code a program like this I would make the perfect program!! Laughing Well, Picajet has a very good foundation and tons of things are already worked into it - it just needs a few touch-ups here and there...

kasper_dk wrote:
In my opinion Microsoft (Yes! Microsoft...) have by far the best use of screen space, since the have all needed tools nicely packed away in ONE button (the one that is dropped down in the screenshot)! Note also that the thumbnails themself don't have lot's of info about size, keywords etc. - but this is done in the bottom of the screen, very nice and clean interface.

This is basically already possible in Picajet - you can disable the info about each picture pressing the Info button in the bottom (or W) and then you use the Properties section for showing details about selected picture...

Have a nice one!

-Allan
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some advices to customize space:

Use small crip in the fields to fast inscrease/decrease space:

Also you can customize which fields you want to see. Right click on fields and choose it in the window. You also can drag'n'drop fields in the appeared window to choose fields order:

You can fast hide/show "Categories" panel and "Group by" panel by TAB key.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: