PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request Metadata for Raw files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewbond

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Request Metadata for Raw files Reply with quote

My purpose of buying picajet was so that I could manage my photo's. Have now discovered I can't put any metadata on my raw files, and since that's all I shoot, Picajet has become not much use any more unless this feature is added.

Dunja
javanas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have the same problem over here bu I don't have that much RAW photo's at thie moment.

Perhaps something that coulr be fixed in the next update?
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if PicaJet will save EXIF data to the file with THM extension and put them to the same directory?
andrewbond

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: EXIF in RAW Reply with quote

We think that might work. If you want us to test this then we'd be happy to do so. Just drop an email (or post here).

Thanks

Andrew & Dunja
andrewbond

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following from recent thread re. moving images and loss of categfory data: it is imperative that we have IPTC data for RAW files.

Thanks

Andrew
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewbond wrote:
Following from recent thread re. moving images and loss of categfory data: it is imperative that we have IPTC data for RAW files.

Thanks

Andrew

RAW format specifications is not for public - it's mean that nobody guarantees you that if the camera manufacturer changes his RAW format third-party programs will works correclty with files. There are even possible damages/losses of the files.

The DNG format - is the open standard supporting by Adobe. It's mean that photos stored as DNG can be correctly handled on the future.

One of the advantages of the DNG format is storing XMP data internally inside the file.

We experimenting with RoboImport software now which can map IPTC fields into the Adobe DNG XMP data.

http://www.roboimport.com
andrewbond

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your missing a huge trick here, as even some compacts are now shooting RAW and as DSLR's become mainstream, it will become all pervasive. DNG is probably a better idea but has failed to take off as yet, and to be honest is unlikely to do so if it's in the manufacturers interest to keep proprietry technology.

Other photo management software is already supporting this, e.g.

http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/features.htm
http://www.canto.com/ Cumulus 7

I'll also quote from an article about Apples Aperture software:

The first complaint about Aperture came moments after the announcement, when people complained that it wasn't possible to export raw+IPTC. Apple explained that they were against writing to any raw file, because there's no standard for IPTC data inside most raw file types.

This area will need to be addressed by Apple or by some developer who makes a tool to take those exported master files and combines them with the IPTC data into a DNG or a raw+XMP output. In our opinion, the fact that this seems so easily doable yet absent will prevent many early adopters from picking up a copy. While we wouldn't hesitate to recommend Aperture to professional photographers, it's still understandable that some want to wait until they can export their images with the hard-added IPTC data intact."

from http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/prodtech/reviews/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001698219

I think this is quite succinct in its damnation of aperture for the very same reason I am pushing you to implement a solution. Without IPTC tags and RAW support, Picajet will be left behind.

I'm no expert of the data formats (I'm a building surveying student) but I have come to realise the importance of the tags in cataloguing large libraries. A solution is desperately needed if you are to keep existing and get new customers. I'm guessing many Picajet owners are like myself, love photography, have a large collection but not the resources of a professional. Yet this very customer is the one buying the cheaper DSLR and sinking under the wirght of files.

Rant over, now I'm off to have a better look at the competition having seen what's out there. Picajt was a great bit of software, you guys do a great job of responding to customer feedback, but please, fix this!"!!!!!

Andrew Bond
Scotland
jgulla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Request Metadata for Raw files Reply with quote

I want to chime and and add my request for adding Metadata to raw files (well, DNG at least).

My workflow starts by converting my Canon RAW files to DNG to make it easy for me to add metadata to the file (I've been using Bridge to add ratings and IPTC keywords).

I understand it can be difficlult to add metadata to proprietary RAW files - I'm only asking that it be supported for DNG - an open, documented specification.

If PicaJet had that, it would *really* meet all my needs (for now Smile. As it is, without it, it punches a major hole in my plans to use PicaJet in my workflow / photo management.

Are there plans to add this feature?
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Request Metadata for Raw files Reply with quote

jgulla wrote:
I want to chime and and add my request for adding Metadata to raw files (well, DNG at least).

My workflow starts by converting my Canon RAW files to DNG to make it easy for me to add metadata to the file (I've been using Bridge to add ratings and IPTC keywords).

I understand it can be difficlult to add metadata to proprietary RAW files - I'm only asking that it be supported for DNG - an open, documented specification.

If PicaJet had that, it would *really* meet all my needs (for now Smile. As it is, without it, it punches a major hole in my plans to use PicaJet in my workflow / photo management.

Are there plans to add this feature?

The next PJ minor version will supports DNG XMP writing feature like it does with RoboImport.
andrewbond

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks wizard, glad to see this is being looked into.

So here's a compromise: how easily could Picajet convert RAW to DNG prior to the metadata being added? I know the Fotki uploader does a superb (and fast) job of batch converting .mrw to jpeg.

Cheers

Andrew
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewbond wrote:
thanks wizard, glad to see this is being looked into.

So here's a compromise: how easily could Picajet convert RAW to DNG prior to the metadata being added? I know the Fotki uploader does a superb (and fast) job of batch converting .mrw to jpeg.

I guess that the better stage to convert RAW to DNG format is import moment. You can check RoboImport for this. But you given us some ideas about implementing DNG Conversion from organizer (in organizing stage).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: