PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Support AND/OR/NOT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demeester_roel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Support AND/OR/NOT Reply with quote

In the serach images panel. Support the use of boolean expressions to support searching for e.g. pictures of my and my wife without any children.
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Support AND/OR/NOT Reply with quote

demeester_roel wrote:
In the serach images panel. Support the use of boolean expressions to support searching for e.g. pictures of my and my wife without any children.

Yep, I'll second that! Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

/Kasper
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Support AND/OR/NOT Reply with quote

demeester_roel wrote:

It can be done if your photos assigned with appropriate categories:
- Select your photos
- Select your wife photos
- Right Click on your children photos and select Hide "Children" from the current set.
Jin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Support AND/OR/NOT Reply with quote

Wizard wrote:
demeester_roel wrote:

It can be done if your photos assigned with appropriate categories:
- Select your photos
- Select your wife photos
- Right Click on your children photos and select Hide "Children" from the current set.

If it already works, why not make these functions accessible through the search query?
The way tags are used now, equals pretty much an alternate but advanced folder structure, which i need to manage in addition to the file based one.

Id like to be able to just tag my images with whatever, and then search for them by entereing the appropriate tags in the Search field to narrow it down.
Like you said, I could do this by clicking on the tags, but this gets very annoying if you have a huge amaount of different tags, and dont want to spend the additonal effort to sort them all in a folder like structure.
It takes about 1/2 a minute for me to search and click, or rightcklick and hide, all the tags, instead of the 5 seconds it would take to just write everything in a textfield.
Category Search doesn't help in this case, the tags get deselected while searching.

This is really bugging me, because everything else about PicaJet is almost perfect!
anthonym

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is too bad! I have ACDSee Pro and its lack of any boolean searching is why I'm looking to go elsewhere. I was hoping Picajet would fit the bill.
Categories are nice for quick grouping, but it is no substitution for more sophisticated search capabilities. (e.g. Google doesn't force users to choose categories... they simply don't scale well from a user standpoint for large datasets)

Anyway, I just downloaded the free version, so I'll give it a try. I may still switch.

Also, if Picajet cares about their users they may add the functionality in the future. ACDSee definitely does not and has no apparent plans to add this feature even though it is highly requested. I will be switching to someone, just gotta find the right app.
ruceb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also strongly agree that AND, OR and NOT should be possible with the search! The (also free available) IDimager supports it, but is in all other regards clearly worse than PicaJet. On my rather out-dated computer PicaJet runs lightning-fast and stable, while IDimager doesn't, and PicaJet is so much more user-friendly and intuitive. This Boolean-Search-feature would make me buy PicaJet in a heartbeat since it's (almost) the only thing that is missing Smile

For example: My pictures if people are grouped by their first and lastname. If I want to have photos with "person A AND person B", I must search through the whole category manually. Also I have a category "others" where people that are not grouped elsewhere are in. So I could make a search "person A NOT others", I could make sure to only get pictures with people that are close to me (since they have an own category and are not "others" Smile

Do you, the PicaJet administrators, definitly decline to implement this feature in future versions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: