PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flickr uploader not working anymore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baptiste

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Flickr uploader not working anymore Reply with quote

Hi,

I use and like PicaJet Free Edition 2.5 and its plugin for uploading photos to Flickr (version 1.1.0.45). However, since August 16th the plugin is stuck at the authentication process and doesn't work anymore.

I posted on the Flickr boards and it seems they have corrected a bug in their authentication API. This has caused all external uploading tools (standalone uploader, iPhoto plugin ...) to fail since the correction went live.

So I think the PicaJet Flickr plugin may need a bit of work to be compatible with the Flickr update. I hope it won't be too much work.

Regards,
Baptiste
charles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickr uploader not working anymore Reply with quote

Baptiste wrote:
So I think the PicaJet Flickr plugin may need a bit of work to be compatible with the Flickr update. I hope it won't be too much work.

I am seeing the same problem... since it looks like someone's going to have to hack the Flickr plugin code, this looks like a good opportunity to bring up a feature/bug list I have been collecting on it...

1. "Go to your album page" (at the end of uploading) instead opens the "Documents and Settings" folder for the current windows user - I assume it was supposed to open the flickr home page in the web browser? (Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.4)
  2. The EXIF mangling noted by other users (everything as fractions over a million) would be nice to fix.
  3. Descriptions with carriage returns are messed up. Both Flickr descriptions and EXIF descriptions can contain returns, which is nice for formatting large comments. It's hard to add a return to a description manually in PicaJet (hitting the return key is taken as clicking the 'Ok' button), but it is possible by pasting text with returns, and PJ seems happy with it. It would be very nice if the uploader preserved returns; I would like to use PicaJet as the authoritative source of metadata, but I've had to manually edit some images in Flickr instead because of this issue.
  4. Flickr exif reporting for field "User Comment" states : Unsupported character coding : "ASCII ". Maybe a space hiding at the end of string 'ASCII' is confusing the parser trying to determine the format? Maybe this is related to the two problems above? See for example: http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=189670488&context=set-72157594200092365
  5. Others have mentioned this, I'll second it: It would be fantastic to syncronize metadata from Flickr with data in PicaJet. Tags in particular should be straightforward as PJ categories; You'd need to be able to match the space-stripped, lower-case Flickr tags to the PJ categories, I'd also include an option to have any unrecognized tags get added as children of a "Flickr Tags" category (help prevent to much clutter in the category tree). Capturing comments would be great, but I am not sure what metadata field to put them in.
  6. I'd like to be able to map the PJ rating to a tag; so if I had a 2.5 star rating, a tag '2.5star' would be added as well.
  7. It looks like that category parents are not being included when I indicate that I want to use categories as tags. If I have written parents to metadata, it's ok (I assume Flickr is then parsing them out), otherwise, only the directly assigned categories appear to be set as tags.

The plugin has otherwise been very useful!
sbg10000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about a bug fix for this issue? I have the same problem.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flickr uploader not working anymore Reply with quote

charles wrote:
Baptiste wrote:

I am seeing the same problem... since it looks like someone's going to have to hack the Flickr plugin code, this looks like a good opportunity to bring up a feature/bug list I have been collecting on it...

1. "Go to your album page" (at the end of uploading) instead opens the "Documents and Settings" folder for the current windows user - I assume it was supposed to open the flickr home page in the web browser? (Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.4)
  2. The EXIF mangling noted by other users (everything as fractions over a million) would be nice to fix.
  3. Descriptions with carriage returns are messed up. Both Flickr descriptions and EXIF descriptions can contain returns, which is nice for formatting large comments. It's hard to add a return to a description manually in PicaJet (hitting the return key is taken as clicking the 'Ok' button), but it is possible by pasting text with returns, and PJ seems happy with it. It would be very nice if the uploader preserved returns; I would like to use PicaJet as the authoritative source of metadata, but I've had to manually edit some images in Flickr instead because of this issue.
  4. Flickr exif reporting for field "User Comment" states : Unsupported character coding : "ASCII ". Maybe a space hiding at the end of string 'ASCII' is confusing the parser trying to determine the format? Maybe this is related to the two problems above? See for example: http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=189670488&context=set-72157594200092365
  5. Others have mentioned this, I'll second it: It would be fantastic to syncronize metadata from Flickr with data in PicaJet. Tags in particular should be straightforward as PJ categories; You'd need to be able to match the space-stripped, lower-case Flickr tags to the PJ categories, I'd also include an option to have any unrecognized tags get added as children of a "Flickr Tags" category (help prevent to much clutter in the category tree). Capturing comments would be great, but I am not sure what metadata field to put them in.
  6. I'd like to be able to map the PJ rating to a tag; so if I had a 2.5 star rating, a tag '2.5star' would be added as well.
  7. It looks like that category parents are not being included when I indicate that I want to use categories as tags. If I have written parents to metadata, it's ok (I assume Flickr is then parsing them out), otherwise, only the directly assigned categories appear to be set as tags.

The plugin has otherwise been very useful!

Direct link to the new Flickr Uploader version:
http://www.picajet.com/download/plugins/FlickrUploader.exe

I answered to your questions via email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: