PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating thumbnails orphans subcategories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Updating thumbnails orphans subcategories Reply with quote

I tried updating some thumbnails. After they were updated, Picajet said that there was unsaved metadata. I updated the metadata and everything seemed to be okay. However, when I restarted Picajet, every pictures that I updated the thumbnails for was orphaned from there subcategories and all of of the subcategories that they initially had were re-created as top level categories. Needless to say, this really sucks! When you have a complicated category structure and suddenly dozens, if not hundreds, of your subcategories are orphaned, it takes an extremely long time to put everything back the way it was. Please fix this!
keir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are you going to do anything about this?
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keir wrote:
So, are you going to do anything about this?

Could you please this 463 build:
http://www.picajet.com/download/PicaJetFXInstall_463.exe
keir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an improvement, but it still doesn't work right.

Before, when I updated a photo in subcategory D with the structure A-B-C-D (A being the category and each other letter being the next subcategory down); A, B, C, and D all became top level categories.

This time, using the same structure, the structure changed to A-C-D. The bottom two subcategories moved up one and outside of category B for that particular picture.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keir wrote:
It's an improvement, but it still doesn't work right.

Before, when I updated a photo in subcategory D with the structure A-B-C-D (A being the category and each other letter being the next subcategory down); A, B, C, and D all became top level categories.

This time, using the same structure, the structure changed to A-C-D. The bottom two subcategories moved up one and outside of category B for that particular picture.

The new build only prevent the photos from the issue mentioned you. Unfortunatelly it can't fix the old category reorder, so it required manual reordering.
keir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what you just said. It's still having the same problem, it's just messing things up in a different way. The category structure should not change just because I update a thumbnail.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keir wrote:
I don't understand what you just said. It's still having the same problem, it's just messing things up in a different way. The category structure should not change just because I update a thumbnail.

My apologizes, but you should manually recover your old category structure. The new 463 build just prevent from the same further problems in the future.
keir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manually recover. I'm only testing with single pictures as it is so time consuming to fix. Under the 463 build, the category structure is still lost when I update thumbnails. It is not as bad as before where the structure was completely lost, but the category structure is still significantly altered. It is not fixed.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keir wrote:
I did manually recover. I'm only testing with single pictures as it is so time consuming to fix. Under the 463 build, the category structure is still lost when I update thumbnails. It is not as bad as before where the structure was completely lost, but the category structure is still significantly altered. It is not fixed.

I believe that your photos have keywords which was embedded using the 460 build. It's mean that keywords were save with flattened structure. 463 build recovers the embedded keywords as their were saved.

Could you please try to embed new keywords to photos using 463 build, and then update thumbnail again. If the problem still exists could you please send me the several sample images or provide me more detailed steps to reproduce the issue.
keir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand now. Rewriting all of the keywords to the files fixed the problem. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: