PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stability and speed for Picajet 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
collin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Stability and speed for Picajet 3 Reply with quote

I am a long term user of PicaJetFX and like the software very much. I sometimes try other photo organising programmes but always come back to PicaJet as its user interface is so good, easy to use and intuitive compared to other software. However I would not even be looking at other software if the reliability and speed of PicaJet was better.

I use PicaJet on a nearly daily basis and on a daily basis it crashes on me, sometimes it just will not respond other times it comes up with error messages. My other concern is the slowness of PicaJet to respond when I scroll down quickly, my database contains 1500 photos, not that many, and often when I scroll down it can be quite a few seconds before PicaJet responds - it just beeps if I try to do anything!

So for Picajet 3 PLEASE ensure that the software is stable and fast - the two most important things for any software in my opinion.
Kalain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stability and speed for Picajet 3 Reply with quote

Hi,

collin wrote:
I use PicaJet on a nearly daily basis and on a daily basis it crashes on me, sometimes it just will not respond other times it comes up with error messages.

I agree with you, this is the same for me. Twisted Evil
Sometimes, I do not use PJ but fight with it.
Better stability would be appreciated, even for 2.5.0 Laughing

Quote:
My other concern is the slowness of PicaJet to respond when I scroll down quickly, my database contains 1500 photos, not that many, and often when I scroll down it can be quite a few seconds before PicaJet responds - it just beeps if I try to do anything!

I have also tried some others software, but none was quicker than PicaJet.
I have a bit less than 60 000 photos in my database, and respond is fairly acceptable. (My computer is 3 year old : Athlon 2100+ 512Mo RAM)

The problem can be caused by thumbnail creation. This takes few milli seconds each time before to be stored in data base.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stability and speed for Picajet 3 Reply with quote

Alain and Cole, thanks for the suggestion. We are discussing with you for long time and much appreciate for you for numerous of the feedback sent you us for this time.

The reason of the slowness of the PicaJet is OpenGL based engine which highly depends from videocard model and installed card vendor driver (non Standard Microsoft). We are working on the stability and speed for the next PJ version.

Alain, speed of the importing might be increased if you checked off two options:
- Generate Keywords from Folder Names
- And Generate Keywords from IPTC/EXIF
Mojzi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the speed, but stability is the main problem. PicaJet feezes after every 4-8 clicks. I can't arrange categories without feezing several times. Maybe I'm crazy, but I still stick to PicaJet because of it's functions.

Don't you plan to publish a beta version of PJ3? Would be good because of several reasons:
- faithful users would feel your care and they (we) would feel reassured, that the developing goes well
- More beta testers reveal more bugs
- We can suggest more features, if we see the new working version
Kalain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stability and speed for Picajet 3 Reply with quote

Wizard wrote:
Alain, speed of the importing might be increased if you checked off two options:
- Generate Keywords from Folder Names

This option is always off. I do not want to manage photos by creating keywords from folder names. In this case, "Search" function from XP Explorer is enough. Wink

Quote:

- And Generate Keywords from IPTC/EXIF

This option is always on.
This is useful to import IPTC/EXIF data already written in photos. Wink

Best regards
collinro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kalain,

I have a 2600 Athlon, 512 RAM with GeForce video card yet it sounds as if response for me is slower than for you. I was wondering if the number of photos in each directory could have something to do with this? I have up to 300 photos in each windows directory. Maybe if I had more directories with less photos in each, PicaJet wouldbe faster. What do you think?

Regards,
charles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: PJ stability during startup Reply with quote

Mojzi wrote:
I don't mind the speed, but stability is the main problem. PicaJet feezes after every 4-8 clicks. I can't arrange categories without feezing several times. Maybe I'm crazy, but I still stick to PicaJet because of it's functions.

I have also encountered some serious stability issues with PJ, but most of these seem to occur just after PJ starts up. PJ does some pretty intense processing when it boots up; I'm not sure why, I assume it is part of the watch folder scanning (although I don't see major HD activity). Try this:

* Start Windows Task Manager (on XP pro it's ctrl-alt-del, don't hit twice, you'll reboot the system)
* Minimize it to system tray
* Keep an eye on the little green CPU usage icon
* Start PJ - you'll note that your computer starts gobbling up CPU at a high rate (essentially 100%), and for a fairly long time.
* WAIT. Do not use PJ until this initial burst of activity has subsided. On my machine (32bit 2.6Ghz P4, 10k photos) this is about 30-45 seconds.

I have found that if I let PJ get past this intense period, it's quite stable; the only problems I've had recently when I follow this practice are sporadic ones with the Flickr pluggin.

The wait is annoying, but it's reduced the headache of having the program crash in the middle of an action. I remain optimistic that the PJ team will tackle the issue in future releases!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: