PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shy EXIF date selector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Shy EXIF date selector Reply with quote

When an EXIF date entry is clicked for editting, a little calendar selector pops up. Unfortunately, it is on a z-axis that puts it behind the EXIF window, and you can't move the EXIF window (it's waiting for you to choose a date), making it impossible to bring the calendar into view in some cases. Fortunately I could dismiss the calendar using enter or ESC. Build 406.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shy EXIF date selector Reply with quote

I've had this happen to me as well, except it was with the save dialog after making changes to EXIF data. I haven't encountered it lately, so it may be fixed or not.

Brian
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this PicaJet build:
www.picajet.com/download/PicaJetFXInstall_411.exe
charles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Dates, dates and yet more dates Reply with quote

Yup, that fixed it... Thanks! That build also appears to have fixed the need to set a date twice to make it stick.

I'm having trouble assigning a consistent date, though. My earlier photos were editted with a version of Photoshop that apparently did not preserve EXIF/IPTC metadata. That combined with Windows *$@! behavior of not preserving original dates when copying files from CDs means that I have been going back and manually resetting dates.

AFAIK, there are 8 places that PicaJet recognizes dates:

EXIF
      Date/Time
      Date/Time digitized
      Date/Time original

IPTC
      Date created + Time created

General Properties
      Date
      Imported Date

File Properties
      Created Date
      Modified Date

Obviously file create / modify dates, are set by the system (for better or worse grrr), and imported date is something that PicaJet can clearly track. I am unclear how the others relate to each other. The date organizer drop-down nicely lets you chose from 4 options, but I don't know:

1) How does PicaJet deal with the 3 EXIF dates (which seem conceptually the same to me) - If none are set, can I set one and have it be recognized?

2) Should I be ignoring IPTC date?

3) Where does the general property 'Date' come from? Unless there is a reason not to, I'd like to have it sync to EXIF fields (presumably via a checkbox option in the ctrl-I dialog).

Also, it would be really nice if I could copy and paste EXIF dates (rather than always using the calendar GUI) - it would mean I could use fewer clicks in the GUI to get to a nearby date...

Thanks again!
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) How does PicaJet deal with the 3 EXIF dates (which seem conceptually the same to me) - If none are set, can I set one and have it be recognized?

DateTime
The date and time of image creation. In this standard it is the date and time the file was changed.

DateTimeOriginal
The date and time when the original image data was generated. For a DSC the date and time the picture was taken
are recorded.

DateTimeDigitized
The date and time when the image was stored as digital data. If, for example, an image was captured by DSC and at the same
time the file was recorded, then the DateTimeOriginal and DateTimeDigitized will have the same contents.

Quote:
2) Should I be ignoring IPTC date?

Some software store date in IPTC date. I think you must decide this issue yourself.

Quote:
3) Where does the general property 'Date' come from? Unless there is a reason not to, I'd like to have it sync to EXIF fields (presumably via a checkbox option in the ctrl-I dialog).

Here is path for checking dates:
1. EXIF Date Time
3. EXIF Date Time Original
4. EXIF Date Time Digitized
5. IPTC Date Time Released
6. IPTC Date Time Created
7. File Created Time
8. File Modified Time
9. File Imported Time

If any field dont contain or contain invalid date then PJ check next date field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: