PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crash, crash, crash!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
underdone

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Crash, crash, crash!! Reply with quote

Hi

Before buying, I am currently testing it out. Due to a number of backups and several years of mismanagement, I have huge numbers of duplicate files. In any case, I have a lrge number of pictures anyway (around 18, 000).

I have a remote PC holding all my pictures and I have set up a directory remotely too for the DB. Everytime I try to get the import happening (it may take several hours to run), after a few hundred pictures it crashes.

Can you help? Incideantally, I would like to congratulate on great looking and great functionality s/w - I have been waiting for something like this on and off for a good 3 or 4 years. Particularly, I like the fact that albums aren't virtual and that you can write to the EXIF - this makes it less propriatorial which is was my number one criteria for this type of s/w. I.E. I want my pictures to be accessed easily without the need for a DB. Well done! I think I will look closely at your naming software too. In fact, I will get it linked in to my wife's picture framing website.

Cheers!

Tim
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash, crash, crash!! Reply with quote

Thank for Tim to trying out PicaJet. Yes, I agree that PicaJet has some stability troubles, but we work with it. I can list some of the tips/limitations to working on a network with some limitations:
- Database must be placed in the shared folder (for example: \\server\PhotoBase\).
- Images should be imported using the network paths (for example: \\server\photos15\)
- Highly recommended do not write any "datas" simultaneously by several
users per time.
- if two users change any "datas" simultaneously, PicaJet might work unstable and
all the category structure changes by another user will be visible after restarting the PicaJet.
underdone

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

There is only one user at a time. I reallse I am asking it to do quite a lot and I don't want to burden it unneccessarily.

The access to the drives are via mapped network drives and when scanning the folders (which it does ok) it is reading them as \\server\photos etc. Is this what you mean, or is there another setting I have missed?

Many thanks

tim
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You need to import all the files and folders using the network paths:
"\\server\photos", etc.
underdone

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - problem appears to be nailed. Rather than selecting import for one folder it seemed to work by going down another level and selecting import all. Hopefully this might help the development team out a bit.

It does keep crashing though from time to time - it could be that I have a very large number of files on board - has this been experienced by others?

When I upgrade - is it a new installation? I ask this because I am not sure I downloaded the correct file because I can't see the find duplicate images option (even greyed out).

Thanks

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: