PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XGI Volari video card problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbrady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: XGI Volari video card problems Reply with quote

I've got a Dell laptop with an XGI Volari video card. For some reason PicaJet has problems with it. It doesn't crash, but the display has many glitches. The thumbnails look ok, but the border around them, the bar underneat, etc. isn't drawn correctly. And you can't see the border when selecting an image which makes it impossible to see which photos are currently selected. Basically it's unusable.

I don't really have the means to change my video card. I did upgrade to the latest version of the XGI drivers but it didn't help. I've submitted this to PicaJet support but I wanted to see if anyone out in the "wild" has run across anything similar?

This is the only application that I've run across that has had display glitches on that PC.

Thanks.
mbrady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I just tried the new 395 build and still have the same problem. The fix list didn't specifically mention this problem, but I was hoping maybe it would be one of the unnamed bug fixes. Is there any chance of this being addressed relatively soon? I would really like to be able to use this, but the display problems I'm having make it impossible unfortunately.
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PicaJet uses hardware acceleration (OpenGL). Try to install the latest drivers for your videocard.
Here is link: http://www.xgitech.com/sd/sd_download.asp
mbrady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already running the latest drivers and still have the same problem. It's weird. I've not run into any graphical glitches like that before. Tried PicaJet on my work PC and it looks ok (completely different video card) so I'm assuming it's video card related somehow.

I went to OpenGL.org and followed a link and downloaded a tool called glview that gives information about the OpenGL features supported by the drivers I have installed. Perhaps this will shed some light on things?
Here's the report it gave:

Code:
System Info
Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Vendor
XGI

Renderer
Volari V3

Extensions
GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_ARB_texture_compression
GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
GL_EXT_abgr
GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_EXT_packed_pixels
GL_EXT_paletted_texture
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
GL_EXT_texture_env_add
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
GL_EXT_texture_object
GL_EXT_vertex_array
GL_S3_s3tc
GL_WIN_swap_hint
WGL_ARB_extensions_string
WGL_EXT_extensions_string
WGL_EXT_swap_control

Core features
v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)
v1.2 (100 % - 8/8)
v1.3 (100 % - 9/9)
v1.4 (0 % - 0/15)
v1.5 (0 % - 0/3)
v2.0 (0 % - 0/8)

Compiled vertex array support
This feature improves OpenGL performance by using video memory to cache transformed vertices.

No paletted texture support
This may cause performance loss in some older applications.

Multitexture support
This feature accelerates complex rendering such as lightmaps or environment mapping.

No secondary color support
Some applications may not render polygon highlights correctly.

S3TC compression support
This feature improves texture mapping performance in some applications by using lossy compression.

No texture edge clamp support
This feature adds clamping control to edge texel filtering. Some programs may not render textures correctly (black line on borders.)

No vertex program support
This feature enables vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.

No fragment program support
This feature enables per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.

Extension verification:
GL_ARB_imaging not in list but has the entry point glGetColorTableParameterfv
GL_ARB_imaging not in list but has the entry point glGetColorTableParameteriv
GL_EXT_color_subtable not in list but has the entry point glColorSubTableEXT

Here's a screen shot of what I see:

I have no idea if there's an easy solution or if I'm just out of luck, but I figure the more info I can send your way the better.

Thanks,
Matt
mbrady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've popped back in to try the latest build (406), but no change with my situation. Is this something that's on the tech support radar at all? I would really like to be able to use this, it seems to fit what I need, but I really can't tell for sure because of the visual problems. Please help!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its any consolation I am also having a video card issue.
It works fine on a 5 year old PC in my office (Windows XP-sp2. Graphics = ATI Radeon 9200 Series) but at home on a new pc, the thumbnails have no drop shadows (Windows XP Media Centre Edition. Graphics = ATI
Radeon X300 256MB). I was about to purchase but now I think I will wait a while to see what happens.
Sugarmonster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Same here Reply with quote

I too am having the symptoms described - corruption around the image thumbnails. I can try to grab a screenshot if it's any use. I'm on the latest trial download.

The machine is a home built P4/3.4, the card is an ATI X850 PE, and I have no problem with any other applications.

Marc.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the great site to easily find the drivers to videocards:
http://www.station-drivers.com
Sugarmonster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the latest ATI drivers (5.7) and that seemed to cure the problems I was having.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: