PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Image Quality again - using PicaJet as an image viewer

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JohanH



Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Image Quality again - using PicaJet as an image viewer Reply with quote

In the 395 version the image quality has been "improved" if improved means "sharpened in some strange way", but still there is difference between the image quality in PicaJet and for example in Irfanview...
It seems like the images are sharpened in a downsampled resolution and then upsampled to the visualized image size using a nearest neighbour method witch means I can see "pixelation" in PicaJet where there should be no pixelation at all, I mean if my image is in 8mpix i should not be able to see pixelation when using screen resolution of 1280x1024 (I guess I don't see the pixels but the pixelation is an resampling/sharpning articfact).

Another thing is that the images visualized seems downsampled. When looking at it in 100% it is just half the size of the image in IrfanView. And when looking at it in 200% it seems to be the same size, but then it is definatly pixelated. Do you store copys of the images downsampled somewhere that is used for displaying the images so I actually don't get to see my original images? When using the fix image I seems to be the original image...

And a third thing is that all my CR2 (canon 20D raw images) are have a strong yellow/brown cast, i.e. the raw image is probably visualized without any white balance correction. It is a must that PicaJet would apply the "camera setting" white balance on the images, otherwise PicaJet is useless as an Image viewer (when having raw-images), and I would only use it as an Image cataloger.

A fourth thing that I would appreciate if it could be included in a near future version is color management (atleast for viewing).

I am currently evaluating this software (for 3 more days, after that I'll have to the free version to see if you guys improve Wink) and thinking about buying it but if the overall image quality won't improve I will probably look elsewhere. Are these issues something that you will adress in near future?
Because I am a software developer myself and is working alot with graphic development (in medical applications) and has been working quite a lot with image processing a couple of years ago, software image quality issuses disturbs me when I look at images Confused

If you need any images to show you my problems or feedback I am glad to help out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohanH



Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys refuse to comment these issues because I am not a customer to you, or don't you have any answers???

The lack of comments puts me futher away from buying the software... which would be a pity because I really like the user interface of the program..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rainer



Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Posts: 16
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Image Quality again - using PicaJet as an image viewer Reply with quote

JohanH wrote:
In the 395 version the image quality has I mean if my image is in 8mpix i should not be able to see pixelation when using screen resolution of 1280x1024

if you downsample an image, it will either get a little blurred or you will see pixelation, just like when upsampling an image, depending on the algorithm.

I agree that the Thumbnail quality could be better.
The best looking thumbnails I ever saw where in ACDSee 7.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohanH



Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutley right about that, but I don't mean the thumbnails.
The problem I refer to is when showing full-screen and preview versions of the files, they don't look as good as they should imho.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alex
PicaJet Team


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 340

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the 395 version the image quality has been "improved" if improved means "sharpened in some strange way", but still there is difference between the image quality in PicaJet and for example in Irfanview...
It seems like the images are sharpened in a downsampled resolution and then upsampled to the visualized image size using a nearest neighbour method witch means I can see "pixelation" in PicaJet where there should be no pixelation at all, I mean if my image is in 8mpix i should not be able to see pixelation when using screen resolution of 1280x1024 (I guess I don't see the pixels but the pixelation is an resampling/sharpning articfact).

Another thing is that the images visualized seems downsampled. When looking at it in 100% it is just half the size of the image in IrfanView. And when looking at it in 200% it seems to be the same size, but then it is definatly pixelated. Do you store copys of the images downsampled somewhere that is used for displaying the images so I actually don't get to see my original images? When using the fix image I seems to be the original image...


PicaJet uses optimized method to view large images. To disable this feature please go to Tools>Options>General and remove checkbox from
"View large images with optimized method (faster)". Without this method, the images are loading little slowly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JohanH



Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that seems to do most of the trick... Still the images seems to be tiny bit better in Irfanview than in PicaJet (the downsampled previews seems to have more jagged edges).

Do you have any comment on the yellowish/brownish cast on the CR2 (canon 20D raw) files?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alex
PicaJet Team


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 340

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks, that seems to do most of the trick... Still the images seems to be tiny bit better in Irfanview than in PicaJet (the downsampled previews seems to have more jagged edges).


Could you send screenshots PJ and Irfanview to support at picajet.com

Quote:
Do you have any comment on the yellowish/brownish cast on the CR2 (canon 20D raw) files?


We add this feature to TO-DO list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Brian
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Image Quality again - using PicaJet as an image viewer Reply with quote

Check the settings of your graphics card driver. I have a nvidia geforce4 (its old, but anyway...) with the newest drivers and under advanced display settings there's a "Performance & Quality Settings" option, and under the global driver settings there's one called "Image settings" that was set to "High Performance", I changed it to "Quality", and noticed a definite improvement in picajet's image quality (from what looked like small JPEG artifacts to none).

Hope that helps,
-B
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group