PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using skins with PicaJet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Using skins with PicaJet 3.0
I want to see PicaJet with skins support
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
I like to see the color schemes support for the workspace
31%
 31%  [ 9 ]
I hate PicaJet skins. Please remove them from the PicaJet future versions
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
I don't care about skins
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 29

Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Using skins with PicaJet Reply with quote

I begun this topic because we are interesting PicaJet user opinions regarding using skins in PicaJet.

I am very interesting to discuss with PicaJet customers and not only about using the skins.

The main reason to using skins is making the program more differently than competitors and make it more attractive.

Unfortunatelly our current skin engine doesn't support built'in Windows skins. You can only download several Windows like skins.

Any ideas suggestions about using skins in the PicaJet 3.0 are welcome!

Skins page:
http://picajet.com/en/index.php?page=skins

Last edited by Wizard on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
danwolfgang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion as someone still evaluating the software (and who hasn't bought yet), you should be concentrating on making the program work well: import fast, fix the speed of "detailed image info", display 20D raw files correctly, implement versioning/stacks, make a copy of the original before editing, etc.

The UI of PicaJet is quite good. Skinning the program won't improve the UI or make the problem spots any less problematic. I would be shocked if anybody is using PicaJet solely because it looks different from the competitors!
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course skin engine/skins is not a major PicaJet feature. It is only a way to customize the program interface.

And our main efforts will be concentrated to improve "useful" functionality and usability.
Alain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What about some people who doesn't care about skins. You should add this answer to your questionnary. (How do you use it ? What do I have to do to answer to the questionnary ?)

Personnaly, I do not care about skins (and do not use them). I agree totally whith Danwolfgang, it would be better to spend time and efforts to improve capabilities, add more features, repair some bugs (if there is still some), support more IPTC fields, work on database, .... instead to try and create graphic works or graphic art.
What is the most important thing for an image software management ? skins ? hmmm. I'm not sure at all.
Yes, I agree, the sofware has to be pleasant to use. Isn't it the case now with default skin ?

Best regards

Alain
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added "I don't care about skins" answer to poll.

I totally agree with Alain and Dan. This poll only helps us to be more near to PicaJet customers and understand their requirements.

Skins are not important to semipro- and professional photographers or designers but PicaJet has many "householder" users which might to spare more atention to first impression of using the program.

As I mentioned before our main forces will be focused to resolving photographs and designers needs Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally both options could be used: skinned or using Windows defalut theme Smile (somehow the way Opera does it, but I don't know how they do it Wink)
martin10018

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm the one begging for an unskinned version, I probably have to explain my opinion a little more:

I like the user interface of PicaJet.

I don't like that I have to use a skin for the program. This is especially annoying since I like to change my Windows XP visual styles now and then. So PicaJet never matches my actual skin (aka visual style) I'm using with Windows XP.

When I have a lot of (serious) work to do (e.g. working with my photos), I almost always switch back to 'Windows Classic' since skins get somewhat annoying after you've used them for a while.

So if PicaJet would use standard Windows gui elements (dialog boxes, buttons etc.) it would automatically use the visual style selected for XP.

To make it clear, I'm not talking of the workspace. That's quite good as it is.

Take a look at MediaMonkey. They use skins for their app by default. But you are able to switch this off. Then it uses standard windows elements which in the style you've selected for windows.

P.S.:
I don't know what you mean by "color schemes"...
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin10018 wrote:

P.S.:
I don't know what you mean by "color schemes"...

I mean something like "View Styles" where you can choose predefined styles which will changed background, frame, font colors & sizes. Customizing borders, shadows, frames, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather effort was made in adding better edit controls (like Picasa has). I use Windows Standard
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Window Blinds Reply with quote

I voted for "I don't care", but I suppose I care a bit. I use Window Blinds to suit my own UI tastes (generally minimal). I'd prefer the application match the look I choose - be it via Window Blinds or Windows own style choices.
helgeh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PicaJet is a photo management program, browse the forums and there is a lot of things you'r users care about: better iptc support, easer editing (ala picasa) and so on - I say: focus about the things that matter first.
Nicolas Kersalé

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about news skins or, the actual skins are sufficient for me and I don't chose to use Picajet because of its 'look' but because of its functionalities !

Nicolas.
eagle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, look at winamp 5. It supports skins, but the program for long time was buggy and now it works much more slowly than without skin support. I think it will be better if it has sympathetic, easy and above all FAST user interface. But color schemes of workspace solution is rather good.
Idea is to make able to select only main color by user, and all other colors and hue will be calculated automatically. (Such as in CSS: scrollbar-base-color)
Ohip

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Skin Support Reply with quote

Like everyone else.. I think skin support is second to functionality.

The most important is reliabality, media support (ie Adobe DNG, RAW and other new formats) and speed.

Most semi-pro photographers and designers use other software for editing.

I myself find Adobe Bridge and other cataloging programs way to bloated for my use.

Picajet is still the best at whats its been made for. Please don't turn it into bloatware.
Carlos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a registered user of PicaJet and I really like it!

I like the color shemes (as an option to the default system color) but I think "skin" is not, in any way, a feature that PicaJet 3.0 should implement.

The reason is simple: since Windows XP (and even with 98/Me with WindowBlinds) the system "skin" is really better and I really like to see all applications with the same theme. I don't use to purchase application that uses just the old style Windows 98/Me.

And Windows Vista (aero glass) is another major reason to make PicaJet system theme compatible.

I really hope to use PicaJet and all its great features with Windows Vista theme.

Finally, I read the Microsoft Windows Vista guideline (for developers) and I understand that the programmer should focus in functionality, using all system features, making his application integrated with Windows (system). So that's the way! System theme support!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: