PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS tags removed when resized or converted [Free 2.5.0, 427]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bixb0012

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: GPS tags removed when resized or converted [Free 2.5.0, 427] Reply with quote

Has anyone had problems with Picajet removing GPS tags when an image is either resized or converted?

I am quite active in Geotagging all of my images, and I continue to have problems with GPS tags getting removed when I resize or convert. I can partially understand the problem when converting, but I think a genuine problem exists when resizing.

All other EXIF, IPTC, and MakerNotes tags are maintained.

BTW, I am using Picajet 2.5.0 (build 427) Free Edition with Windows2000 SP4. Could this be a problem with the Free Edition?

Any input is appreciated,
Josh
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please send us one of these files with GPS tags to support at picajet.com. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: E-mail sent to support with sample photos Reply with quote

I sent an e-mail to support around 08:30 EDT; however, I forgot to put a subject header on it. The e-mail will be arriving from bixb0012.

I attached three copies of the same sample photo. Each copy of the photo was georeferenced using a different method. The problem occurs with all three images.

I also posed a question regarding possible problems with the Orientation tag not being updated properly when resizing or converting images.
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you doing this geotagging? Are there cameras with built in support for this or do you use other tools?

It would be great to have built in support for this in PicaJet. Perhaps a world map or rotatable globe with thumbnails pinned to it.
bixb0012

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Method of georeferencing Reply with quote

I primarily use ExifTool by Phil Harvey to geotag my photos. ExifTool is a set of perl scripts for editing all kinds of image metadata, including GPS tags. ExifTool also has great command line functionality, so I do batch scripts to assign tags.

Another program that is really neat but currently frustrating for me is Location Stamper from Microsoft's Worldwide Media Exchange (WWMX). The program allows you to geotag photos by using anyone of the following three backdrops: 1) mappoint.net, 2) TerraServer Photo, and 3) TerraServer Topo. The frustrating part is that my ImageMaker notes keep getting trashed when the program geotags the image. I have tried contacting WWMX, but so far all attempts at communicating have been in vain.

There are lots of other programs available to geotag images; I can only think of RoboGEO at the moment. Most geotagging programs are designed to work with GPS units (either directly or through saved logs) in order to tag images based on time stamps. I have not tried these programs because I am most interested in georeferencing existing image libraries.

There are cameras, a few at least, that have embedded GPS units in them; however, they are not easy on the pocket book. I think we are still several years away from GPS functionality in non-specialty digital cameras. I hope I am wrong and the time comes sooner.

I agree that PicaJet would be even better with some geographic support. I do not code enough to know how easy or impossible it would be, but I am hoping PicaJet goes that direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: