PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DNG support....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillbill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: DNG support.... Reply with quote

Yo!!

Nice to see DNG in PicaJet. There is a problem with reading dng's at the current version though - they open without any problems but when picajet reads my file preferences (white balance, exposure etc.etc.) it re-orients the picture vertically (even it it was originally portrait - this means it rotates the image through 90 degrees whatever the original orientation so my "long side" is squidged into the short side making for a very distorted image! Good news is that it appears to be bringing the white balance, exposure etc. in correctly.

If you want a dng to play with, let me know. The white balance etc. is being set in Adobe bridge.

Cheers,

hb
Nicolas Kersalé

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just the thumbnails that are distorded or also the picture in edit mode ?

I had the same problem of thumbnails distorded (the pictures were'nt distored in edit mode), but with .jpg files (It was because I rotated them with another software that don't update the Exif Orientation info). To correct it, I just select all my 'distorded' pictures and rebuild the thumbnails (CTL+B) and everything is OK now. It maybe would work for you to ?

Nicolas.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: DNG support.... Reply with quote

hillbill wrote:
Yo!!

Nice to see DNG in PicaJet. There is a problem with reading dng's at the current version though - they open without any problems but when picajet reads my file preferences (white balance, exposure etc.etc.) it re-orients the picture vertically (even it it was originally portrait - this means it rotates the image through 90 degrees whatever the original orientation so my "long side" is squidged into the short side making for a very distorted image! Good news is that it appears to be bringing the white balance, exposure etc. in correctly.

If you want a dng to play with, let me know. The white balance etc. is being set in Adobe bridge.

Cheers,

hb

Please send me one of these DNG files to support at picajet.com.
hillbill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Yea, full display of the images is fine. If I rebuild the thumbnails they display fine. When I tried this on more than one image, I got an error and will pop the error report mail over with an attached dng and its jpg file so you can see what nis happening.

Cheers,

hb
hillbill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: contrary to my mail....new info Reply with quote

Interestingly, dng's created from the older canon cameras (D30 etc) where the old raw format was .crw seem fine. dng's from my 20D and 1DS all show the same strange behaviour however.

The dng I've mailed is from a 20D and you should be able to see what I mean.

Cheers,

hb
hillbill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit premature with my assessment of older images. In the main they are better but some from my old D30 still exhibit the funny "turned image" type thing. All images from the 20D do it.

Is there anyway to tell PicaJet to revert to the original thumbnail it displays before doing the full scan for dng files? (i.e. the thumb you see when first importing). Invariably these are a much better representation of the image than the updated thumb (even where the image is not distorted). Sometimes I am seeing colour cast with the "updated" thumb aswell.

Over 11,000 images loaded now and no real problems apart from this. Very Happy
hillbill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to keep bombarding you with info on this but as far as I'm concerned this is my biggest problem with Pica. I have stopped loading new images until this is resolved as I'm not sure if I'm making more work for myself in the future.

Basically, portrait images have the image rotated 90 degrees but the picture format itself remains portrait, so the long side is squeezed into the short side! If possible, I would like to stick with the original thumb, which looks fine for dng, right format, correct colours etc.

Cheers,

hb
hillbill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this?

hb
hillbill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With build 439 dng's are now displayed properly (although some older dng's converted from .crw files have a colour cast). However, portrait pics are turned to landscape....if I turn off the option to use exif to rotate pics, they display correctly. I'm happy with this workaround but am not sure whether it will make the program incorrectly orientate my jpgs and psd files!

Definitely an improvement though.

I still would like to see dng in the search options when looking for file types and searching for psd files still doesn't show any although I have thousands!

Anyway, we're moving in the right direction!

Cheers,

hb
mk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes same good and bad.

Nikon raws now have correct thumbnails (after ctrl-b). But orientation is always "resetted" when recreating thumbnails.

eg: select pic, ctrl-b, thumb is fine but has wrong orientation, press '.' to rotate pic, all fine. Now, (I'm a bad user Twisted Evil Wink ) select pic again, ctrl-b, thumb is fine again, but picture has wrong orientation again. Rolling Eyes

mk
hillbill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk,

if you turn off "use exif data to orient picture", I guess it will orient them correctly - this is what the software does for dng files. Also, it seems like picajet is importing jpgs correctly aswell (i.e. correct orientation) even with this switched off - I'm sticking with it like this as now all files have correct thumbs and orientation! Smile

hb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: