PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Select all is dangerous!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Select all is dangerous! Reply with quote

I was hoping to batch rename some images in a directory and paressed CTR- A did the rename and found to my horror that it was renaming all the images on the hard drive!
That I call dangerous there should be a warning prompt!
John
hillbill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: agreed, a prompt would be cool when working with multiples Reply with quote

I've done a similar thing - selected all images when I thought I had just selected a subset and then reset ratings to 1 for everything. My problem is getting used to the "view bys" on the right - they still display all images but take you to the point where you click (i.e. all 3 start images) - they do not act as a filter.

This is fine but needs a bit of adjusting to if coming from IView.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To select all images inside the group just click on the group section.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do I do that "select all images inside the group just click on the group section."
In fact this experience has left me very uncertain of picajet, to rename every image file on my harddrive was completey nuts!
John
photoman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the "group section" is the selected category. Just click the blue
area above the images in that category and all the images will be selected. That is, a blue frame will appear around each image.
mk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@photoman and Wizard: you show how the correct way is. But the problem is "Select all is dangerous".

I think the whole "group by" thing is not very intuitive, see my problem with the "group by rating" function. It looks like a second filtering system (first is select category) but it isn't. (I know it is named "group by" and not "filter" Wink but I expect a second filter there).

And that "not-filtering" with ctrl+a is dangerous.

mk
lanmat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I can't quite sympathize. The only time I use ctrl-A is when I want to select all the pictures of a certain category. Otherwise, I just always click on the title bar of whatever grouping they are in. And I guess I'm not expecting a filter from the 'arrange by' functionality. If I want a filter, I use the search tool to search, say, for all photos above a 3.5 to get all 4 & 5 star pictures, leaving the 'search selected categories' button checked.

This is part of the reason I love Picajet: two filters (category and anything you can search on) and two sorts (the locate by and arrange by funcitonalities). Gotta love all the sheer combinations of categories/dates/ratings/anything-you-can-possibly-hope-to-find-as-long-as-you've-tagged-it in your wilderness of pictures.
lanmat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: holy <explitive>! Reply with quote

Ok, apparently I jinxed myself with that last post. "I guess I can't quite sympathize". Well, fate has certainly showed me.

I thought it wasn't really an issue since I don't usually rename files. Captioning, on the otherhand...<grr> So here's my Ctrl-A horror story. I spent about 2-3 hours captioning a whole ton of videos I had taken and just recently fixed a thumbnail not showing issue. I had the probem for a while (which makes it virtually impossible to work with the videos) so I had a lot of videos to go through.

So I watch each one, ranging from 30 seconds to 2 minutes each and put a little description and a rating. Well, I'm nearing the last 10 and I make a caption that I want to change. I click in the caption area below the rating under the thumbnail and I want to select all the text to replace it. I try triple clicking, but it doesn't work. So I hit...Ctrl-A (dun dun DUN!). This promptly selects all my photos and at this point, I'm screwed.

There is nothing I can do now to prevent all my movies clips from gaining whatever caption I write once I do any of the following: hit return, hit escape, click somewhere outside the thumbnail section of the window. That's right, even hitting ESCAPE changes all the captions to the same thing. And no undo button. This is the first serious photo management error (that wasn't my fault) I've had in picajet, so I'm not about to give it up, but WOW! Ctrl-A IS dangerous if you're changing anything about the file instead of just selecting to drag into another program.

Please either make Escape truly cancel whatever change you're doing (as it should) or provide us with an undo button already! (PLEASE!)
Stefan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same happend to me earlier ... that's why I regularily make a backup of the database (should be done anyway ... ). So the loss is not that big ... somehow Ctrl+A is a natural habit ...
But I would second lanmat with the PLEASE make Esc do what it's supposed to do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: