PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what's the deal with rotation and thumbnails?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanmat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: So what's the deal with rotation and thumbnails? Reply with quote

I'd like someone to talk shop about how picajet handles image rotation and thumbnails. Several times now I've either rotated the image in picajet (then applied the rotation) or rotated it in some other program and every so often I'll find either the thumbnail is the wrong orientation and/or some orientation (either right or wrong) squeezed into a thumbnail with the wrong aspect ratio. I haven't done a thorough testing since it doesn't happen enough to really really annoy me, but it does annoy me. Sometimes said images can be fine when you double click on them, and sometimes (though more rarely) the thumbnail looks fine and the picture itself is wrong. Then there's the times I'll use picajet to rotate with the quick edit and apply the edit and the thumbnail doesn't change (can't remember whether the image did do as it should or not).

I still really hope for a 'resynchronize to original' option in a future version in case something in the file was changed with another program (something I think 'revert to original' should do but apparently doesn't the way I think it should), but for now I'd love for someone to describe how picajet handles thumbnails and image rotation along with the EXIF image orientation flag. I've had it happen enough where the thumbnail/actual image doesn't match what windows explorer's thumbnails and the preview window show that I'm left confused and increasingly annoyed when it does happen.
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some programs after rotation doesn't reset the EXIF rotation tag or change EXIF thumbnail. There is some problems with these files.
lanmat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Funny rotation stuff remains Reply with quote

I'm still experiencing very annoying behavior for all my vertical images I take that aren't auto rotated (or auto rotated incorrectly). When I import them (after having done nothing to them in any other program), I go picture by picture, use the QuickEdit rotate function if it needs it, rate the images, separate into categories and caption as necessary. I then select all and apply QuickEdit, then write info to EXIF/IPTC. That's my process.

The results are that the files I've rotated show up fine in other image programs, but it's almost like Picajet applies the quickedit rotation, but thinks I've selected the picture for another identical rotation, as if I rotated once, applied, then rotated the same way again. So I have to go through and de-second-rotate them and then it looks (so far) like it's fine. The other thing is if I search for any files that have pending quickedit rotations, it will find the ones that have not been rotated (a white rotation icon in the QuickEdit properties bar) as well as all those images that have had QuickEdit rotations applied and are now double-rotated (they have a grey rotation QuickEdit icon).

So what exactly does the QuickEdit rotation do? Does it just change the orientation flag in the EXIF data, or physically make a new file (a lossy rotation)? Why does it notify me that 'this operation can not be undone'? (BTW, what operation in Picajet actually CAN be undone?) And once you've applied the QuickEdit rotation, do you need to write the EXIF/IPTC info to the file to have it updated? What happens if I QuickEdit rotate a picture, write the EXIF data to the file, but never actually apply it?

I really need someone to just explain exactly what happens in the process. I've tried to use other programs to do just the rotation of the images since I've been wary of this problem before, but then ran into some of them not playing nice with Picajet and getting the rotations even more screwed up between the file, the thumbnail, what explorer and the 3rd party programs show and what Picajet shows in the thumbnail and the actual image.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: