PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smugmug losing EXIF info?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian512

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: smugmug losing EXIF info? Reply with quote

Does anyone on here upload their photos to smugmug after editing metadata added with picajet? If so, does the EXIF info show up for the photos? I have the issue where smugmug.com does not/cannot determine the EXIF info (IPTC is fine). I contacted their support, and they said that after looking at one of my photos the problem is with Picajet, because they were able to open the original image in photoshop, view teh EXIF data, resave it, and upload it, and then the EXIF displays correctly. I've asked them if they can provide any further information, but I haven't got anything yet. So, can anyone help out or have any suggestions? I haven't had any other issues with EXIf data with any other programs/sites, which leads me to believe the problem is more on their side than picajet's fault...

I'm using PicaJet FX, 2.5.0, build 454.

Brian
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please send us one of these files.
brian512

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
Could you please send us one of these files.

I think I figured out what the problem is, it looks like picajet does not create an EXIF thumbnail, or if a EXIF thumbnail exists in an image and certain metadata edits are made (not sure exactly what it takes), it will overwrite some of the EXIF thumbnail data. I have 3 example files, one original from picajet, one edited so that it has a thumbnail (and works with their site), and another that had the thumbnail and whose metadata was modified by picajet (which does then not work on the site, it looks like it leaves the actual thumbnail alone but messed us the other thumbnail metadata). I was using the Windows XP app Exifer to compare the EXIF data between the different images and to create the thumbnail. I will email the images and the differences in metadata to you in a bit.

Let me know if you'd like me to try anything else.

Thanks,
Brian
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked your files but I dont see any problem. Thumbnail info after adding info with PicaJet is more detailed, but exactly with EXIF 2.2 standard. I used Opanda IExif 2.2.
brian512

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
I have checked your files but I dont see any problem. Thumbnail info after adding info with PicaJet is more detailed, but exactly with EXIF 2.2 standard. I used Opanda IExif 2.2.

The way around the issue I've discovered is to use another application to re-create the EXIF thumbnail just before uploading. An inconvienence, but not the end of the world. I checked IExif and it only seems to show the metadata "massaged." (see below).

Is there any way that PicaJet can only modify the EXIF fields that the end-user can modify? I.e., we can edit the image description, software, copyright, user comments, date/time, etc., so let it update those, but fields such as exposure time, aperture, metering mode, focal length, flash, thumbnail info, etc, etc we can't modify, so have the program not update those fields? In addition to the thumbnail info I emailed you that changes (such as the thumbnail X & Y resolution changing from 72/1 to 0/1, and the focal length from values such as 250/32 to 7812500/1000000 and the exposure time from 1/60 to 16667/1000000 (its obvious there's some sort of conversion taking place, and its saving it at a different precision than the original value.)

Many apps take the values and make a "pretty" version of them but others only show the raw data, and when looking at the raw data its inconvienent to see numbers that are on a different order of magnitude. Or how about storing the raw data divided by 1000000 (or whatever value is appropriate) so that instead of seeing "7812500/1000000" we get 7.812500 (the actual focal length values in millimeters, same issue for exposure time). Or does the exif spec state the values must be a certain format?

Any chance of seeing these things, or just wishful thinking? Smile

Brian
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PicaJet uses third-party library to save EXIF data. I'll contact the third-party company to inform about this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: