PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PicaJet 2.5 (Build 457) is available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: PicaJet 2.5 (Build 457) is available Reply with quote

PicaJet 2.5 (Build 457) is available to download:

PicaJet FX: http://www.picajet.com/download/PicaJetFXInstall_457.exe
PicaJet Free: http://www.picajet.com/download/PicaJetInstall_457.exe

Whats new:
- Optimized import.
- Improved thumbnails quality.
- Hide Tool Panel feature.
tumirnix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
just a question. I've still problems with the "Check for updates online".
I'm still using the build 455, but as all the previous versions it does not
find the new version.
Is this a bug or somehow a misconfiguration?
Thanks
Tumirnix
charles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: PicaJet 2.5 (Build 457) is available Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
- Hide Tool Panel feature.

Excellent, thanks Alex!
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I decided to give the new build a complete fresh install, and spent a bit of time erasing all records of earlier versions on my box. After the clean install, I am presented with the "Welcome to PicaJet" wizard - this one still has the old "eye-icon" watch folders feature (that don't work) and that we've discussed previously (see post http://www.picajet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1256#1256 ) - is this a mistake or has it been reworked? Otherwise maybe it should be removed in future builds.

And while we're at the issue - did you guys have a chance to think up new great ideas on the watched folder feature that still seems to be lacking some power. In any case you still have http://www.picajet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1261#1261 to inspire you.

/Kasper
charles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kasper_dk wrote:
And while we're at the issue - did you guys have a chance to think up new great ideas on the watched folder feature that still seems to be lacking some power. In any case you still have http://www.picajet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1261#1261 to inspire you.

Kasper's suggestion seems like a fairly simple (both to use and implement) and powerful mechanism for specifying watched folders. The ability to exclude folders will mean a lot less digging around the file system for many users...

-CAT
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles wrote:
kasper_dk wrote:

Kasper's suggestion seems like a fairly simple (both to use and implement) and powerful mechanism for specifying watched folders. The ability to exclude folders will mean a lot less digging around the file system for many users...

-CAT

We haven't planning to implement this feature in the near future. There are some problems with performance then some subfolders is excluded from watched folder.
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
We haven't planing to implement this feature in the near future. There are some problems with performance then some subfolders is excluded from watched folder.

Very sad to hear that... But anyway it would make sense to at least remove the leftovers of the old eye-icon function in the welcome wizard, in future builds.

/Kasper
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Watched folders driving me NUTS!!! Reply with quote

AAAARHH!! Something has GOT to happen with these watched folders now - please!!! Is it really THAT difficult to code this feature?!

Since you can't exlude any folders - I've imported one of my main picture folders, and then manually removed unwanted pictures from the album/database. Takes time - but it's the only way.

But NOW! Of course...(!) Because it's a watched folder - the program is checking for all pictures that are in the folder - but not the database - and ask's me if I want to import. If I choose to say yes - everything that I've spent hours removing from the database - is being imported right back into it.... Evil or Very Mad And if I say no to importing them - I'll never get the NEW pictures that I've added in the main folders....

Please guys! Make this a top priority! What is a pictura management program - if it can't handle multiple folders, and different settings for different folders! Please fix it ones and for all - WITH working exluding folders option.

Sorry for angry hiccups - but it's SO annoying now! Crying or Very sad

/Kasper
demeester_roel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i coulnt' agree more.

i also wrote something on http://www.picajet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341&highlight= that clarifies my ide about picajet.

I have the impression that alex is not making enough money out of picajet (therefore the release of the side utilities like
RoboImport 1.1 and RoboFolder 1.0.0.11.).

I have good hopes for the future because since july he continued development on picajet.

In the meantime other companies (pse4, picasa, WPG, ..) have not stopped releasing new photo-organizing features, and picajet is a bit behind.

He is planning a 3.0 release to be developed from stratch, but as i'm a developer myself i know that this can take at least a year to get it right.

My current main concerns with picajet
* watched folder is not like it should, your suggestions would make it better. The picasa way of working looks promising also.
* ever done watched folders on a mapped network-drive ? You get all images twice? Once with the UNC pathname \\network\drive\pictues\1.jpg and once with the mapped pathname q:\pictures\1.jpg
* IPTC/XMP support for keywords. Database doesn't stay in sync with metdata content changed by other software.
* overall user experience: too many dialog boxes, too less settings to tweak the UI, current build is SLOOOW.
* hierarchical categories: Suppose you have a picture tagged People > Family > Myself. Then you have several options for saving this in the IPTC keywords. (there currently isn't a standard for this so i would suggest that each software keeps the options open)
1) Myself : you loose any hierarchy information and flatten the whole category
2) - Myself
- People
- Family : you still keep some hierarchy info so when imported into another database that has correctly setup the same hierarchy, it could be able to map IPTC onto categeroy
3 ) People/Family/Myself : You keep all info (keywords + hierarchy), but other software should use the same convention.

I would definitely make the software capable of supporting all tagging mechanism (read + write). and e.g. in case 3 allow setting the hierarchy separator.
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Watched folders driving me NUTS!!! Reply with quote

We've added exclude folders list. Will be available at next build.
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Watched folders driving me NUTS!!! Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
We've added exclude folders list. Will be available at next build.

SUPER! Really looking forward to see it guys. Very Happy

/Kasper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: