PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Time of day" view?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: "Time of day" view? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm in the planing phase of which keywords - and structure - I need before I start really heavy indexing...

I realised I had a lot of pictures of a specific place, but from many different times of day (and many different dates, spread over three years), so I thought I should do a main keyword category called "Time of day", and then under that make morning, daytime, evening and night keywords. It works well in testing, but it's A LOT of extra work Confused

But then it hit me! I shouldn't have to do this because I have the "Locate By" panel which contains the sort by date - and under that I can sort by hours!! Great!! Very Happy

But.... (yes there is a but Sad ) I can't use it anyway because it is divided into dates, and I want an overall view. For example, I want to choose the keyword "Portugal" and then go to locate by - and choose a time - so I will get ALL my pictures from any dates, taken between, let's say, 20:00-21:00 - not on any specific date. Or another example; I don't want to choose anykeyword at all - I just want to find all pictures I have in my library taken at a specific time - again without any relation to the date the pics were taken...

So, has anybody found a way to do this? Or, dear PicaJet team, could this be implemented easily? I would save me so much indexing work - and it's already written in the EXIF data - and you are using it, I just need it to be NOT-date-related/cateogorised...

Best regards
/Kasper
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting worlflow, but PicaJet, as you have correctly noticed, works with whole date. The issue that you describe is conflicts with main idea of "Locate By Date" as whole timeline. I think it must be something like "Locate by Day hours". What do you think?
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
I think it must be something like "Locate by Day hours". What do you think?

Hi Alex,

I'm not completely sure what you mean with "Locate by Day hours"? Could you explain a bit more your thoughts?

I've been thinking a bit more about the issue, and found this problem; We have previously discussed the "Locata by" panel only working as a "bookmark" in the pictures and not a filtered view - like "categories" are. So in that way I can see you point that my idea doesn't work....

However, I still think there is a very strong case for changing the Locate By into being filtered view, and not just a bookmark. And this issue here is another case supporting that idea.

Finally let me give you another idea for a great feature, in the same area as the one we are discussing here (and also supporting "Locate By" as a filter view): I tried a program some time ago (sorry can't remember the name, have been testing so many picture management progs lately), it used the EXIF data to extract the month of the pictures and it then had a "Locate by season" feature divided into spring, summer, autumn and winter - no work or indexing had to be done, because data was directly read from the exif information! It was SO cool!! As a user you could define which months belong to which season category - really great!

Imagine to combine the above feature - with the one about "locate by time of day", then in a matter of seconds I could sort out a view showing ALL my "EVENING" pictures, taken at "WINTER" time! (and then if you even combine that search with or more keywords.... WOW! what a search functionality!!!)

Anyway Alex, let me hear your thoughts.

/Kasper
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The functionality you are looking for is a term of discussing for the third version. I see it might be look as filter or search function besides of locate by/group by features. For example search all images where Hour > 00 and Hour < 08, etc...

Regarding the season - the same solution, but:

- I am able to see my collection by seasons. Because I have the following photo folder structure:

..Winter
....[2005-11-19] Jims Birthday
....[2005-11-05] Skiis
....[2005-11-01] Night Party
..Summer
..Spring

And I am able to browse my seasons through Locate By Folders.

We are developed the small software RoboImport which helps me to import my photos from camera and accuratelly place them into the chronologically organized folders with Season grouping.
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizard wrote:
The functionality you are looking for is a term of discussing for the third version. I see it might be look as filter or search function besides of locate by/group by features. For example search all images where Hour > 00 and Hour < 08, etc...

Regarding the season - the same solution, but:

- I am able to see my collection by seasons. Because I have the following photo folder structure:

..Winter
....[2005-11-19] Jims Birthday
....[2005-11-05] Skiis
....[2005-11-01] Night Party
..Summer
..Spring

I see you point Wizard. For the sake of the discussion regarding version 3, personally I find "filter views" so much nicer to work with than advanced search options (the advanced search options should still be there though), but filter view just makes my workflow so much faster, and the program so much more accessible. Anyway that's my opinion on the subject.

You have a good point with you folder structure, I will give it a thought. And maybe I should give roboimport another try. I tried it once or twice and was a bit disappointed, but I'll give it another go Wink

Now back to work on version 3 - can't wait to see it Very Happy

Regards
/Kasper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: