PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Features Wishlist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which feature would you most want?
Captions/Text in slideshows
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Larger thumbnails and/or proxies
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Lossless/Non-destructive editing
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Movable/Dockable panes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Saved slideshows
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stacks/Versions
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Undo button
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Videos in slideshows
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Virtual/Dynamic folders
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

MoS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Features Wishlist Reply with quote

Below is a wishlist that I have compiled from my own desires as well as from other postings in this forum. Please feel free to comment on and vote for your favorite(s).

Captions/Text in slideshows
It would be fun to have captions/comments (or maybe even text bubbles) overlayed onto photos in slideshow mode. In combination with background MP3 playback, text would make slideshows that much more interesting. Of course, this text must not be "hard-coded" to the photos because that would quickly grow old.

Larger thumbnails and/or proxies
I see a number of people who have asked for larger thumbnails or sharper ones. I don't personally need this, but I can see how it might be useful to others. Also, if large high-quality thumbnails could be used as proxy copies of offline images that have been burnt to CD/DVD for archival purposes, that could be practical in determining where a specific photo is located and whether it is exactly the one you were looking for.

Lossless/Non-destructive editing
Some here have suggested that PJ should focus primarily on management and not editing, but I definitely feel that if you're going to use PJ for managing and showcasing your photo library, some form of basic editing should be included. And if you're going to do editing in a management app, it should be non-destructive editing since destructive editing should be left to apps specifically designed for editing. The way I see it, if you're the kind of person who is going to use a management app to edit your photos, you're also the kind of person who may need to retouch your photos more than once before getting it just right. I've ranted on this subject here: http://www.picajet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1469&highlight=#1469

Movable/Dockable panes
With the growing popularity of widescreen displays, I definitely appreciate the fact that PJ's panes dock on either side of the window (as opposed to taking up vertical space). But I've seen a few posts requesting that the "Locate By" pane be dockable below the "Categories" panes like the "Properties" pane. Also, if one could undock certain panes, it might make for better support for those fortunate enough to have multiple displays set up.

Saved slideshows
Think of it like a playlist for photos. Why, you ask? I think many might find it useful to use slideshows to tell a story or to highlight the "best-of" parts of a vacation trip. But that would require the ability to manually sort your photos and to then save it (so that you can spring it on unsuspecting relatives *LOL*). I think Wizard talked about this functionality in one of his post. I believe he referred to it as sets or collections.

Stacks/Versions
If you're like me, you take photos from every conceivable angle and at every zoom level for fear that you might miss that "priceless" moment. Wouldn't it be fun to hide this obsessive-compulsive behavior by stacking/grouping similar photos together?

Undo button
Okay, so you read above that I take the same picture from various angles & distances. Afterwards, I end up having to tag these similar photos into the same categories. Of course, I get cute and hold down the Shift and/or Ctrl keys and select a boat-load of photos in the name of efficiency. But every once in a while, I find out that I was too quick with the mouse click and need to undo a mistake for each and every photo I previously selected.

Videos in slideshows
I find myself making at least one video at every special event that I take my digital camera to. I would love for the slideshow to present the videos along with photos from any given event.

Virtual/Dynamic folders
You can think of these folders as saved searches that are updated every time you click on them. This functionality would be incredibly powerful if combined with some sort of boolean syntax. Imagine creating a virtual folder and right-clicking it and being able to create (through some combination of drop-down menus) a simple set of rules that says: "Show all photos of John and Jane taken outside at dusk in the summer". The possibilities are almost endless (view by season, time of day, etc). This feature can often be achieved through some sort of combination use of Categories, but it isn't the most elegant or intuitive solution. I think Apple iPhoto's Smart Albums is an especially good implementation (simple yet powerful).

I would lastly like to add that I read somewhere in this forum that the next version of PJ might have an Open API to encourage third-party developers to add functionality to PJ. I think that is a brilliant idea. With any application, there is always the threat of creeping featurism which leads to bloat. With an Open API and some sort of plug-in architecture, PJ can be as light & clean or as powerful & complex as a user needs it to be.
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for another so comprehensive feedback.
Almost all the features list by you is present in our feature list. Except of the
- Lossless/Non-destructive editing which required additional consideration from our side.
- Undo. We need some thoughts about this feature.

The "Large Thumbnails" feature in a stage of discussing:
There are two ways of implementing this:
1. Store single thumbnail for each asset. But, user might set the new size for displayed thumbnails and all the current visible thumbnails will be regenerated. It required the little hard space for each album/catalog but required regenerating thumbnails for each resizing.
2. Generated 3 thumbnails for each asset. These thumbnails will be generated once, and if user decided to resize the image the near thumb bitmap will be selected from 3 thumb copies (small, medium or large). It will be slow during generating, fast during resizing and takes much more hard space than first variant.
MoS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Option 1 (just one thumbnail) Reply with quote

Quote:
There are two ways of implementing this:
1. Store single thumbnail for each asset. But, user might set the new size for displayed thumbnails and all the current visible thumbnails will be regenerated. It required the little hard space for each album/catalog but required regenerating thumbnails for each resizing.
2. Generated 3 thumbnails for each asset. These thumbnails will be generated once, and if user decided to resize the image the near thumb bitmap will be selected from 3 thumb copies (small, medium or large). It will be slow during generating, fast during resizing and takes much more hard space than first variant.

My vote would be for option 1 only because once I decide on a default thumbnail size, I rarely change it. And when I do change it, it's normally just temporary (right now, PJ's thumbnails are nice enough and resize fast enough for me). But that's just me.
tau99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: One more feature. Reply with quote

I think that boolean search (like find fictures with iso>200 AND iso <1600 AND camera model=300d AND year = 2005 NOT located in... etc) will be VERY useful. Hope we'll see this in PJ 3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: