PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File date changing - files without EXIF data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarstenMeyer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: File date changing - files without EXIF data Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm just testing this fine piece of software, and it might be the best for my needs if not...

1st problem
When writing categories into the files this program changes the file date!
Ok, I know: This is the usual thing when writing to a file.
BUT: Other programs change the file date to the old value after writing to the file without problem.
Examples? Here:
ACDSee from V. 2.41 from 1999 on I think (when using lossless rotation),
EXIFER (when chaning EXIF data)
FixFoto (optional, when saving a picture)

2nd problem:
I have pictures of 1999 coming from my first digital camera Agfa EPhoto 1680. This camera didn't use EXIF, instead it used some (probably undocumented) data shown only with some special program.
When i manage them with PicaJet and write the new data to these files, this seems to go wrong.
When looking at these files with EXIFER (I think you know this program), it shows in the file list a "yes" for EXIF data, but when I look into such a file, there shows a "division by zero" up. No crash, but no data at all.

Any chance for me to use PicaJet for these pictures?
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: File date changing - files without EXIF data Reply with quote

[quote="KarstenMeyer"]Hello,
I'm just testing this fine piece of software, and it might be the best for my needs if not...

1st problem
When writing categories into the files this program changes the file date!
Ok, I know: This is the usual thing when writing to a file.
BUT: Other programs change the file date to the old value after writing to the file without problem.
Examples? Here:
ACDSee from V. 2.41 from 1999 on I think (when using lossless rotation),
EXIFER (when chaning EXIF data)
FixFoto (optional, when saving a picture)
[quote]

Preserving file modified date after the file was changed might raise the following issues:
- it might disturb your backup engine. Incremental backup checks the file modified dates during copying new changes.
- some programs store file modified date inside their cache (database) to reflect from outside changes. For example if a file imported into your organizer was changed from the Explorer, - your cataloguing tool compares the internal cached date with the real file modified and update the them in workspace(database) if dates are different.

Quote:

2nd problem:
I have pictures of 1999 coming from my first digital camera Agfa EPhoto 1680. This camera didn't use EXIF, instead it used some (probably undocumented) data shown only with some special program.
When i manage them with PicaJet and write the new data to these files, this seems to go wrong.
When looking at these files with EXIFER (I think you know this program), it shows in the file list a "yes" for EXIF data, but when I look into such a file, there shows a "division by zero" up. No crash, but no data at all.

Any chance for me to use PicaJet for these pictures?

Please send us several of those files to support at picajet dot com
KarstenMeyer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for this answer.

Yes, you are right. Keeping the file dates might give problems with other software, e.g. for Back Ups. But nevertheless you should give us this option.

I hope you understand that my two problems together might be a desaster for these files (some 1000 on my hard disk). Keeping the file date would minimize the risk.

I sent you two files from this camera, but there will be millions of pictures out there coming from other cameras without EXIF data...
tumirnix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karsten,
may be it helps you if you rename your pictures in a way that you
have date, time and may be a counter in the name, e.g.
20061007_004423_12.jpg

I think there are a lot of tools which can do that, some of
them use the exif information, e.g. "xnview" (OK, that does not
help you), others can take the file date, e.g. "total commander".

Best regards
Tumirnix
KarstenMeyer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tumirnix wrote:
may be it helps you if you rename your pictures in a way that you have date, time and may be a counter in the name...

Hi tumirnix,
thanks for your help, but after 7 years of digital photography and nearly 50.000 pictures I don't want to change my system for storing them. The file date is essential for me, as it is shown on every system I know - either file system or operating system.

Best Regards,
karsten
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarstenMeyer wrote:
tumirnix wrote:
may be it helps you if you rename your pictures in a way that you have date, time and may be a counter in the name...

Hi tumirnix,
thanks for your help, but after 7 years of digital photography and nearly 50.000 pictures I don't want to change my system for storing them. The file date is essential for me, as it is shown on every system I know - either file system or operating system.

Best Regards,
karsten

Added...
The preliminary 465 build can be downloaded here:
http://www.picajet.com/download/PicaJetFXInstall_465.exe
KarstenMeyer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizard wrote:
Added...
The preliminary 465 build can be downloaded here:
http://www.picajet.com/download/PicaJetFXInstall_465.exe

Thank you very, very much!
The file date can now be preserved, so my 1st problem is solved.

I just spent an hour testing this. When i now group the picures by date, these old ones (wihout EXIF values) are sorted as if they had been made today! Other pictures (with EXIF) are sorted correctly.

Then I found that there is a value simply called "date", and there is a function to change it (clicking on it in the preferences). There I could change it to the "file modification date" (which would make sense) but the date shown there is wrong (No idea what date this is. It's today, but the time?).
Maybe my picture shows better what I mean, though it is in german language. Above you see PicaJet with that grouping (these pictures had been taken in 1997), at the bottom you see the Win Explorer showing the modification date 09-11-1997 of the picture marked in PicaJet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Problems and Troubleshooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: