PicaJet Forum has been moved to daminion.net/forum!
PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips on categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ascaaear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Tips on categories Reply with quote

I used PicaJet for a little while, but I never actually get the hand on how to use categories. You use a lot of time organizing pictures into categories, and maybe you wonder if this these categories you choose to use are the most effective.

So I thought we could share our experiance with using cathegories.

What I do now is i have 2 main categories:

Internal pictures - my own pictures, images from my friends
External pictures - other pictures (like backgrounds, images from sites etc)

So here are the rest of my hiarchy:

Friends
---Fred
---Charles

Events
---Birthdayparty - George
---Trip Spring 2005

Flora
---Flowers
---Mushrom

People
---Familymembers

"Friends" are images I received from others I know
"Events" are groups of images with special occations or events
"Flora" are different kinds of images from nature
"People" are of people, so I can find all images with only "familymembers".

The sub-categoris are always growing, espacially in the "event" category.

So how do other categorize theyr pictures.
Gomf1977

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ascaaear,

thatīs funny, iīve nearly the same way to categorize my pictures. What I donīt have is a difference between pictures which others made and pictures which i have shot, because 99% of the pictures are made by myself.

When you write the metadate in the picture files, all the categories are written in the keywords of IPTC.
Iīam wondering at first, when i see this, but it works to reimport the pictures and the categories are re-created from the keywords.
First i thought the categories must be written in the IPTC addtional cateogries...

Cheers
Martin
Mojzi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I write every data in EXIF & IPTC so these data always stay in the file and not depend on the viewer/cataloger software.

I only catalog pictures what I have taken, or pictures taken on an an event where I also participated or (rarely) pictures of my friends. I don't catalog every pictures downloaded from the net.
This is my workflow: Smile
1. I upload files from the camera
2. Create a backup of them, if I want to return to them later. This files go to a DVD and I probably never see them again, but who knows? Smile
3. Select the ones I want to keep, delete the others
4. Enhance them (color, brightness, white balance, red eye, etc)
5. Sort them to folders: 'date - event description'
6. Fill in metadata using Exifer
- IPTC Location: Where a picture was taken (Country, City)
- EXIF Description: e.g. 'Joe in the fountain'
- IPTC keywords: This is the most important part. My rules:
-- Since PicaJet does not support IPTC Location as keyword, I also write the city here
-- I write here the names of people who are on the picture. 'full name (nickname)'
-- I have some fixed keywords I use on the pictures, e.g. party, basketball, nature, building ...
7. Rename picture and set the file dates according to the EXIF dates. (Exifer) File name: 'original name - EXIF description' e.g. 'DSCN2345 - Joe in the fountain.jpg'
I leave the original name because if I have to go back to the backup, there is only this name.

I know it's a very complicated method, but will worth, when I want to find a picture 20 years after.
I work for the future. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: