PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thumbnail quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
collin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Thumbnail quality Reply with quote

I have just being trying IView MediaPro - not a bad program actually. It's best feature is its crystal clear thumbnails, they are clearly superior to Picajets for the same size Sad

Apart from that Picajet is the superior program in just about every other area Wink

However if there is one thing I would like to see improved in Picajet it is thumbnail quality. Alex is this likely to happen anytime soon Question
Kalain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like also add the possibility to choose size thumbnail stored in database. (100,150,200,250,300 pix)

This is quite important when you do not have any more original in your computer. (Original are stored in DVD, .....)

By now, if you do not have any more original photo on your computer, thumbnails stored size is not enough to work with it.

Best regards

Alain PIERRE
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can suggest you to change resample filter for thumbnails to "Lanczos". You may found this parameter in options. Tools > Options > Import. "Generated thumbnails using resample filter"
collinro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried Lanczos. It makes a slight difference to the quality but not much. Still not nearly as clear as the IView thumbnails. Maybe Kalain's suggestion is best and that larger thumbnails stored in the database would improve quality? Any other suggestions Alex? As thumbnails are the most common view it would make Picajet look a lot better if these were clearer.
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall look, that it is possible to make. But I think it will decrease performance.
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually PicaJet stores thumbnails with maximum size 256X256. So thumbnails with 300 displays with resample.
collin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With iView you can choose what thumbnail size you would like and they also give you a choice of low, medium or high quality. Their maximum thumbnail size is 640 pixels. They do warn that the use of large high-quality thumbnails will increase database size. I would certainly like the option to increase the thumbnail size as picture quality while browsing thumbnails is very important to me. Alex, could I suggest that you try their trial program (http://www.iview-multimedia.com/downloads/index.php?p=a) just so that you can see the difference?
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

We developed database accordingly to inscrease performance and decrease size. Also using 3D engine has some specific peculiarities.
Alex
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some improvements:
http://www.picajet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1337
collin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Alex, definately an improvement on previous thumbnail quality though still not anything like the clarity of IViews thumbnails. I am not sure how they do it. Anyhow thanks for the quick response to improving them.
Kalain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

PJ 2.5 466

Quote:
Actually PicaJet stores thumbnails with maximum size 256X256. So thumbnails with 300 displays with resample.

Are sure of that ?

Have a look at image below.

Display is set at 250px.
Left original image is not anymore available. If thumbnail is stored at 256*256 px in database, this thumbnail should be better quality than this Rolling Eyes (look also at Exif date : 1899. Shocked)

Right original image is available and thumnail is ok.

Another point, when you scroll up or down, it takes some time to refresh and reconstruct images thumbnails. I guess this is because thumbnails are extracted from original and not provided by data base which should be faster ?

Best regards
Kalain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here is below same image (180*256 px) cropped while displayed at 100%

This looks much better than supposed 256px thumbnail ?

Best regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> Feature request & suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: