PicaJet User Forum Forum Index PicaJet User Forum
PicaJet - Digital Photo Management Software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dissappointed Picajet User Taking Custom Elsewhere
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Dissappointed Picajet User Taking Custom Elsewhere Reply with quote

Hi

I'm a registered Picajet user and like many other Picajet users I've been waiting, waiting, waiting for the long overdue Picajet V3. When I purchased Picajet I thought it was a good programme with the potential to be a great programme. While there was a lot of functionality missing and it had several bugs I expected that the bugs would be fixed and the functionality would be improved with regular upgrades of the software. I also expected that, as the software has a relatively small customer base, the developers would provide very good customer support to encourage loyalty among existing customers and grow the application's customer base through user recommendations (this is a common model for small software companies).
Unfortunately none of my expectations have been met. I have found that customer support is bad. You have only to look through the Forum to see that many customer problems are ignored by the support team. It's not just that they are not solved, they are totally ignored ! Furthermore many serious bugs and design flaws which have been reported by customers have been left unfixed. This situation has been made worse by the apparent lack of Picajet development.
V3 has been speculated over for longer than I care to remember but seems no closer to being launched than it was a year ago and it is not possible to get a proper answer from the development team as to when we can expect it. In the meantime we get FOTKI and FLICKR uploaders and some minor bug fix releases which seem to fix very little (!!!). (Picajet users do you want FLICKR and FOTKI or do you want Picajet V3 ??). Now it seems that the Picajet Developers have been busy developing ROBOFOLDER.
Some questions for the developers - do registered Picajet customers get free registration for ROBOFOLDER ? When are you going to fix the outstanding bugs in Picajet and deliver the V3 upgrade ? Given the lack of any significant development in Picajet and the tendency of the Picajet to launch other products such as ROBOFOLDER in the same application space as Picajet I am seriously concerned that Picajet will decline and eventually be dropped as a product with no viable migration path for existing Picajet customers.
Well I will run this risk and I will not wait any longer for worthwhile Picajet development. I'll accept that I have wasted my money and my time on Picajet. I'm dumping Picajet and I'm buying an application with a proven development and support history. Picajet team - you really need to treat your customers better.

will.
vetty

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, I totally agree with you. I bought PicaJet 18 months ago hoping it would evolve quickly to an excellent application. At that time, PicaJet was not perfect but none of his competitors was close to what I expect from a high end photo album either.

Today, I'm stuck with a PicaJet still awfully slow (compared to Picasa), not aware of updated / new pictures (especially true with folders shared on a network) and crashing way too often.

I still don't know which program I should turn to. Picasa is still my default choice just because it's amazingly fast even with raw images. Its only problem is the obvious lack of a good tagging feature as the one in PicaJet.

Any advise?

Vetty
martin10018

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dissappointed Picajet User Taking Custom Elsewhere Reply with quote

Will wrote:
Hi
I'm a registered Picajet user...
will.

I second that word by word!

Martin
collin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise I think your comments are valid. However in defence of PicaJet, I still cannot find any other photo manager software that I would prefer to use. Its great tagging capabilities and versitility in how photos can be shown are unmatched compared with any of the other (many!) photo organisers that I have tried. Considering that it is obvious that English is a second language for the PicaJet team (where are you guys from?) it is perhaps not surprising that online help is a bit slow.

I am sticking with PicaJet - yes it does have shortcomings but it still does the job better than anything else. Like most people who use this program I have high hopes for PicaJet 3 .....
vetty

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

collin wrote:
Like most people who use this program I have high hopes for PicaJet 3 .....

But have they even started this develpment yet? I doubt it... they keep telling us that they add features to a yet-to-be-developped V3. The problem is that it'll take them YEARS to release it if they have not started it (and not ready for a preview / alpha soon).

I hope I'm wrong...
Vetty
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the topic.

PJv3 code will be fully rewritten. Its requires much many times than just adding new features into the old program and releasing the new version.

1. Why it's takes so long time?
a. Because we was busy on related to PJv2 projects and technologies. But it is not mean that we wasted the time. Most of the works will be used in PJv3.

b. We decided that good planning in the early stage will helps to create more flexible, more easy-to-use and the software which fits to user needs. It's requires the time.

2. All the PJ customers has a solid discount for purchasing a next PJ version or another PJ products.

3. The customers which helps us with testing RoboFoder or CamReader get the licences for free.
tumirnix

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wizard,
thank you for the answer.
Wizard wrote:

PJv3 code will be fully rewritten. Its requires much many times than just adding new features into the old program and releasing the new version.
1. Why it's takes so long time?

I know that such a refactoring takes more time than the developers believe.
Wizard wrote:

3. The customers which helps us with testing RoboFoder or CamReader get the licences for free.

How one can become a tester? Are there other possibilities to help you creating a new version?

Thanks in advance
Turmirnix
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How one can become a tester? Are there other possibilities to help you creating a new version?
Thanks in advance
Turmirnix

To become betatester for PicaJet products you can contact us by contact form:
http://picajet.com/en/index.php?page=contacts

please also provide which product you wish to support.
martin10018

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tumirnix wrote:
Hi Wizard,
thank you for the answer.

Thanks in advance
Turmirnix

It's very easy to become a beta tester: Buy PicaJet FX!

Just gave PicaJet another try and the same old bugs I mentionend more than a year ago are still there. For example:

1. Disabling shell integration at the end of the installation still doesn't work. Shell integration is always enabled.

2. The watched folders are completely borked. If I choose 'D:\Private\Pics' right after the installation, I get all pictures in D:\Private and my list of watched folders suddenly has a lot of entries. After some disabling and enabling the watched folders sometimes work.

There are lots of other bugs. Just look around this forum.

For me, buying PicaJet FX was a complete waste money.
martin10018

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin10018 wrote:

Just gave PicaJet another try and the same old bugs I mentionend more than a year ago are still there. For example:

1. Disabling shell integration at the end of the installation still doesn't work. Shell integration is always enabled.

2. The watched folders are completely borked. If I choose 'D:\Private\Pics' right after the installation, I get all pictures in D:\Private and my list of watched folders suddenly has a lot of entries. After some disabling and enabling the watched folders sometimes work.

1. is fixed in build 452
2. is not fixed in build 452
Wizard
PicaJet Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2. is not fixed in build 452

Is it possible to provide me with detailed steps to reproduce the problem? Unfortunatelly I can't reproduce the issue.
martin10018

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'new' watched folders in build 453 work great now. Even new additions in 3 level deep subfolders are recognized. Thanks!
kasper_dk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dissappointed Picajet User Taking Custom Elsewhere Reply with quote

Will wrote:
Hi

I'm a registered Picajet user and like many other Picajet users I've been waiting, waiting, waiting for the long overdue Picajet V3...

...I'm dumping Picajet and I'm buying an application with a proven development and support history. Picajet team - you really need to treat your customers better.

will.

Will - hoping that you will still see this post.
I agree with you to some extent, but also say that a lot of things HAVE imrpoved, eventhough there is still way to go - and no sign of version 3 yet Confused

But it could be very intresting to hear what program(s) you found/tried instead of PicaJet? I have been looking and testing for ages - but not found anything good. I have really high hopes for Adobe Lightroom - but they also seem extremely slow in development for PC platform. For mac of course there is Aparture - but I'm not on a mac... So if you see this post - let me know what you've found, I might join you there Laughing

Regards
/Kasper
wiggers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Disappointed User Reply with quote

I downloaded Picajet in good faith and paid my fee. However after using it for a couple of weeks, I have decided like others to punt on the program. It was pretty bad after I installed it. Even with graphics acceleration installed it was slow. Then I got the latest update and now the program hangs any time I want to do something. Life is too short to debug software that I paid for. Maybe I'll check back in a few months but I have my doubts.
For now I got an evaluation copy of IDmager V3. At least I can use it for three weeks before making a decision.
Hope springs eternal Very Happy

Hans
martin10018

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Disappointed User Reply with quote

wiggers wrote:
I downloaded Picajet in good faith and paid my fee. However after using it for a couple of weeks, I have decided like others to punt on the program. It was pretty bad after I installed it. Even with graphics acceleration installed it was slow. Then I got the latest update and now the program hangs any time I want to do something. Life is too short to debug software that I paid for. Maybe I'll check back in a few months but I have my doubts.
For now I got an evaluation copy of IDmager V3. At least I can use it for three weeks before making a decision.

Though I think the work of the PicaJet develeopers lacks heavily in the quality assurance department I don't understand why you don't make use of the available demo. The bugs you mentioned should have been noticable with the demo too.
wiggers wrote:
Life is too short to debug software that I paid for.

Amen
wiggers wrote:
Maybe I'll check back in a few months but I have my doubts.

I do that from time to time. It's getting better very slowly. But I still see no concept for quality assurance.
Quote:
That's what I'm using ATM. The developer is very helpful and the software is very stable. He has a great community and a strong beta test. But idImager's interface is horrible!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PicaJet User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: